Updated: May 12, 2022
＜Yield> 5 servings
<Prep time> 5 minutes
<Cook time> 40 minutes (not including fermentation time)
720ml water, divided
150g Japanese sushi rice
1. Rinse the rice a couple times and drain the water. Into a rice cooker add in the rinsed rice and 360ml water. Start cooking on a regular mode.
2. Once the rice is cooked you should see that the rice is quite mushy and sticky (porridge-like consistency). Add in 360ml water until the temperature drop down to 60℃/140℉. If the temperature is higher than 60℃, the koji (rice malt) will be destroyed.
3. After ensuring that the temperature has dropped to 60℃/140℉, add koji then mix. Set the rice cooker to a warming mode and leave the lid open. Cover the rice cooker with a wet cloth to keep the temperature around 60℃/140℉. Let it ferment for 8 hours. Make sure to mix the rice mixture every 2 hours and ensure that the cloth stays moist.
4. After 8 hours of fermentation, you will smell the sweet scent of Koji. Now it's ready to be enjoyed.
<Miwa’s tips> ※Watch more on YouTube!
1. If you don’t have a rice cooker you can use a yogurt maker or anything to keep the temperature between 55℃-60℃.
2. You can use this as a substitute for sugar. Watch more on YouTube!
Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 7-10 days.
- First E-cookbooks are now available！ I hope this will be helpful and enjoyable in your kitchen^^
-Please check out beautiful Japanese tableware to decorate your table! Use my code MIWA to get 5% off from your purchase!
-If you need very sharp quality knife, I highly recommend this handmade Japanese knife made by 80 years old Japanese maker!
2021/ 08/21 MIWA