Updated: May 12, 2022
<BASIC JAPANESE RICE PORRIDGE/ 基本のお粥>
＜Yield> 2 servings
<Prep time> 7 minutes (does not include soaking time)
<Cook time> 40 minutes
1L water, divided
1 cup mitsuba, chopped
½ cup (80g) dried sushi rice
2. pickled plum
3. green onion, chopped
4. seasoned kombu
1. Rinse the rice a few times and then soak the rice in 400ml water for 1 hour. After soaking, drain the water. Transfer to the rice to a pot and then add 600ml water. Once it comes to a boil, stir the mixture once from the bottom to the top. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 35 minutes with the lid partially covered. Stir it occasionally to prevent burning.
2. Chop up the mitsuba leaf (or any herbs) and set aside. Mix bonito flakes with soy sauce in a small serving bowl. Feel free to prepare any of your favorite toppings (watch more on YouTube).
3. Once the rice is cooked, add the chopped mitsuba leaf and stir it once. Serve the porridge in a bowl and enjoy with your favorite toppings.
<Miwa’s tips> ※Watch more on YouTube!
1. Mitsuba is an optional ingredient.
2. The rice will triple in size when it’s cooked. Make sure to use a large enough pot.
3. The rice to water cooking ratio is 1:7. Feel free to scale up or down the portion by keeping this ratio.
Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- First E-cookbooks are now available！ I hope this will be helpful and enjoyable in your kitchen^^
-Please check out beautiful Japanese tableware to decorate your table! Use my code MIWA to get 5% off from your purchase!
-If you need very sharp quality knife, I highly recommend this handmade Japanese knife made by 80 years old Japanese maker!