Updated: May 12
<WAKAME MUSHROOM MIXED RICE/わかめきのこご飯>
＜Yield> 2 servings
<Prep time> 6 minutes ( doesn’t include soaking time for the rice and beans)
<Cook time> 50 minutes (varies depending on the rice cooker you use)
650ml water, divided
1 cup (150g) Japanese sushi rice
150g shiitake & shimeji mushrooms
⅓ cup (50g) beans and seeds mixture
1½ tablespoons (3g) unsalted dried wakame seaweed
1½ tablespoons toasted sesame seed
½ tablespoon rice wine
½ tablespoon Mirin
1 teaspoon Kombu dashi powder / vegetable dashi powder
2 pinches salt (optional)
1. Rinse the rice and drain the water. Soak rice and your choice of beans in 400ml of water for 1 hour.
2. Thinly slice the mushrooms. Hydrate wakame seaweed by soaking in 250ml of water for 5 minutes. Strain the wakame seaweed and save the liquid. Squeeze the wakame seaweed and chop it finely. Set it aside.
3. Add the soaked rice and beans from step 1 to the rice cooker. Next add in the kombu stock powder, rice wine, mirin and the liquid from the wakame seaweed. Place the mushrooms on top. Cook the mixture in a rice cooker on regular mode.
4. Once it's cooked, add in the chopped wakame seaweed and sesame seeds. Mix to combine. Adjust the taste with salt. Serve in a bowl along with fresh herbs.
<Miwa’s tips> ※Watch more on YouTube!
1. You can make this recipe with rice only. If that’s the case, use 1½ cups of rice instead.
2. Make sure the wakame seaweed is unsalted.
Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days and in the freezer for up to 3 weeks.
- First E-cookbooks are now available！ I hope this will be helpful and enjoyable in your kitchen^^
-Please check out beautiful Japanese tableware to decorate your table! Use my code MIWA to get 5% off from your purchase!
-If you need very sharp quality knife, I highly recommend this handmade Japanese knife made by 80 years old Japanese maker!