Updated: Apr 18
Who doesn't like chicken nuggets?
This recipe is great for kids and for anyone who is looking for a healthy protein snack!!
This time, I added in edamame to boost up the protein and fiber in the chicken mince. I added them in since fresh edamame is in season right now in Japan, which is what I love about summer!!! I love all the summer seasonal vegetables such as corn, watermelon etc.. I can’t wait to see them available at the supermarket! Haha!
My family sometimes uses corn instead of edamame to enjoy a different flavor and texture. You can also make plain nuggets which I believe are just as good.
This is my absolute favorite recipe and a staple in my meal prep. I make a batch and freeze them for bento boxes or quick lunch.
A good thing about this recipe is that it is a shallow fry, so not much oil required + the oil won't splatter that much!!
Anyway, it’s worth trying it at least once!
I hope enjoy this with your loved ones and I hope it makes your kitchen life a little easier.
Thank you very much for reading!
PS: My English is really not that good, so if you have any questions reading the directions below, feel free to ask me through my Instagram!!
＜Yield> 4 servings
<Prep time> 8 minutes
<Cook time> 6mins
600g chicken mince/ground chicken
100g frozen edamame (shell on)
3 ½ tablespoons potato starch
2 tablespoons rice wine
2 tablespoons Japanese mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Soy sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chicken stock powder (about 1 cube)
1 teaspoon pepper
1. Defrost the edamame and remove their shells.
2. Mix the chicken mince with all the seasonings, then combine well until it becomes sticky. Add in the edamame and combine well.
3. Make a flat round shape with your hands. Lightly coat the nuggets with all purpose flour.
4. Drizzle 2 tbsp of vegetable oil in a pan, then place in the chicken nuggets. Heat the vegetable oil over medium heat then pan fry them for about 3 minutes or until one side become golden. Flip them over and put a lid on. Lower the heat to low-mid and pan fry them for another 3 minutes. Open the lid and cook until you have nice golden brown crust on the surface. Drain the oil and serve them on your plate. Enjoy with mustard and ketchup if you like.
・Swapping edamame to corn kernels is another great option.
・When you make the shape, you can prevent the chicken mince from sticking to your fingers by first wetting your hand.
・My nuggets were about 1.5cm thick. If you are making thicker ones, make sure to cook them longer.
・The nuggets burn easily so keep the heat on medium-low.
Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- First E-cookbooks are now available！ I hope this will be helpful and enjoyable in your kitchen^^
-Please check out beautiful Japanese tableware to decorate your table! Use my code MIWA to get 5% off from your purchase!
-If you need very sharp quality knife, I highly recommend this handmade Japanese knife made by 80 years old Japanese maker!