＜Yield> 2 servings
<Prep time> 7 minutes (does not include soaking time)
<Cook time> 70 minutes
½ cup (80g) dried sushi rice
50g red beans/ azuki
1.3L water ( See how much you need in each steps☟）
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp soy sauce
1. Rinse the rice and soak it for 30mins. Drain the water and set it aside.
2. Rinse the dried azuki red beans. In a pot add in the rinsed azuki beans and 250ml of water. Once it comes to a boil, lower the heat to medium and cook for 2 minutes. Drain the azuki beans and discard the water. In the same pot, add back in the azuki beans along with 600ml of water. Cook it over medium heat for 20 minutes. Once the azuki beans are cooked, separate the azuki beans from the liquid. Reserve the liquid for later.
3. In a measuring cup add in the reserved red bean liquid from step 2 and fill with additional water until you reach 800ml in total.
4. In a large pot, add in the rice and 800ml of the reserved azuki bean liquid + water from step 3. Add the cooked red beans on top. Once it comes to a boil, stir the mixture once from the bottom to the top. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 30-35 minutes with the lid partially covered. Stir it occasionally to prevent burning.
5. Once the rice are cooked, season it with salt and soysauce to your liking. Serve it to the bowl and ready to enjoy.
<Miwa’s tips> ※Watch more on YouTube!
1. 1cup = 250ml
2. The rice will triple in size when it’s cooked. Make sure to use a large enough pot.
3. On step2, the azuki beans should be cooked but still quite firm at this point.
Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.