Updated: Jan 29, 2022
<VEGAN MAPO TOFU/ ヴィーガン麻婆豆腐>
＜Yield> 3 servings
<Prep time> 6 minutes
<Cook time> 10 minutes
1 block (300g) firm tofu
1 cup (100g) soy meat/texturized vegetable protein (TVP)
1 cup leek/ green onion, chopped
½ teaspoon ginger, minced
½ teaspoon garlic, minced
4 tablespoons water
1½ tablespoons Soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine
1 tablespoon gochujang
1 teaspoon Toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon yellow miso
¼ teaspoon rice vinegar
salt & pepper (to taste)
1. Drain the excess moisture from the tofu by putting something heavy on top of it for 10 minutes. Afterwards, cut the tofu into large chunks. Finely chop the garlic, ginger and leek.
2. Make the sauce by mixing the following in a bowl: rice wine, soy sauce, sugar, miso paste, gochujang and water. Set aside.
3. To a pan over high heat; heat the oil, grated garlic and ginger. Once the garlic and ginger become fragrant, add in the leeks. Cook for 2 minutes then add in the soy meat/TVP and the sauce. Once it comes back to a boil, add in the tofu. Continue to cook for another 3-5 minutes over medium high heat or until the tofu has warmed up. Once warmed, add in the toasted sesame oil and vinegar. Adjust the taste with salt and pepper.
4. Transfer to a plate and garnish with chopped green onions and black pepper if you want to. Now it's ready to be enjoyed.
<Miwa’s tips> ※Watch more on YouTube!
1. My soy meat was already slightly seasoned. If your dish tastes bland, feel free to add more salt and soy sauce before serving.
2. If you are sensitive to heat, reduce the amount of gochujang paste and add more miso paste to your liking.
3. You can use any type of miso paste. I’m using yellow miso in the video.
4. You can use any type of vinegar for this recipe.
Store in an air tight container In the fridge for up to 4 days.
This recipe works great for meal prep!
- First E-cookbooks are now available！ I hope this will be helpful and enjoyable in your kitchen^^
-Please check out beautiful Japanese tableware to decorate your table! Use my code MIWA to get 5% off from your purchase!
-If you need very sharp quality knife, I highly recommend this handmade Japanese knife made by 80 years old Japanese maker!