Updated: Jan 5
< VEGAN HOT POT/ 野菜鍋>
＜Yield> 4 servings
<Prep time> 8 mins (doesn't include the time it takes to soak the kombu and dried shiitake mushrooms)
<Cook time> 25-30 mins
6 cups (700g) chopped napa cabbage
1 cup (200g) sliced daikon radish
1 cup (100g) sliced carrot
2 cups (200g) enoki mushrooms
1 cup (100g) sliced leek
2 sheets fried tofu/ aburaage
1 cup (100g) spinach
1 pack (200g) tofu
6 pieces frozen gyoza (optional)
4 pieces dried shiitake mushrooms
10cm ×5cm kombu (10g)
2 tbsp soy sauce
½ tsp salt
3 tbsp grated daikon radish + ½ tsp chili paste
ponzu/ soy sauce
1. Soak the kombu and dried shiitake mushrooms overnight in the fridge. When the shiitake mushrooms are fully hydrated, remove them from the broth leaving the kombu.
2. Chop the Napa cabbage into a big bite sized pieces. Slice the carrot, daikon radish, and leeks into about 1cm thick pieces. Cut off the stem of the enoki mushrooms and tear them by hand. Remove the stems of the dried shiitake mushrooms (Step 1) and thinly slice the caps.
3. To the pot, add the toasted sesame oil. Next add in the Napa cabbage and cook it until it’s wilted. Add in the kombu shiitake stock (Step1), salt, cooking sake, and mirin. Just before it comes to a boil, remove the kombu. Add in the rest of the vegetables (Step 2). Cover with a lid and cook over medium low heat until the vegetables are done, approximately 15-20 mins.
4. Grate the daikon radish and mix with the chili paste (optional).
5. Remove the excess oil from the fried tofu by pressing it with a kitchen towel. Cut the fried tofu into thin strips. Cut the packaged tofu into big bite sized pieces.
6. Open the lid and add in the fried tofu, tofu, spinach and frozen gyoza. Adjust the taste with soy sauce. Once the gyoza are cooked, remove from heat. Enjoy with the sauce listed above.
<Miwa’s tips> ※Watch more on YouTube!
1. Add in the soy sauce at the very end to retain the flavor.
2. This soup is lightly seasoned because it's supposed to be enjoyed with the sauce. Feel free to add in more soy sauce or salt if you like.
3. Once you have eaten all the yummy ingredients, add in some leftover rice followed by chopped green onions, nori seaweed and toasted sesame seeds to make a delicious rice porridge. You can learn more by watching my Youtube video.
Keep them in an air-tight container in the fridge for 2 days, but it's better to eat it in one day.
- First E-cookbooks are now available！ I hope this will be helpful and enjoyable in your kitchen^^
-Please check out beautiful Japanese tableware to decorate your table! Use my code MIWA to get 5% off from your purchase!
-If you need a very sharp quality knife, I highly recommend this handmade Japanese knife made by 80 years old Japanese artisan!