Updated: Feb 1
<TAKIKOMI GOHAN 炊き込みご飯/ VEGETABLE MIXED RICE>
＜Yield> 4 servings
<Prep time> 7 minutes
<Cook time> 50 minutes (this is the time for cooking the rice in a rice cooker)
2 cups Japanese sushi rice
1 cup (1 small carrot) carrot, thin matchsticks
10 cm burdock root
2 pieces shiitake mushroom
1 piece thin fried tofu
1½ cup water
1½ tablespoons Soy sauce
1 tablespoon Mirin
1 tablespoon Kombu dashi powder / vegetable dashi powder
½ tablespoon rice wine
½ teaspoon salt
chopped green onions
mitsuba leaf (Japanese herb)
1. Rinse the rice. Drain the water completely. If you have time, soak the rice in water for 1 hour before cooking.
2. Cut the carrot into thin matchsticks. Slice mushrooms thinly. Scrub the dirt off of the burdock root under tap water then slice it thinly. Pour boiling hot water over the fried tofu and squeeze out the moisture to remove the oxidized oil. Slice the fried tofu thinly.
3. In a rice cooker, add in the rinsed rice from step 1 followed by mirin, soy sauce, rice wine, salt and kombu dashi powder. Mix them well. Fill the water line in the rice cooker where you would normally cook 2 cups of rice. Then add in the carrots, burdock root, shiitake mushrooms and fried tofu. Start cooking on regular mode.
4. Once the rice has cooked, open the lid and mix the rice starting from the bottom to the top, in that motion. Transfer to serving bowls and garnish with some chopped green onions or mitsuba leaf if you want to.
<Miwa’s tips> ※Watch more on YouTube!
・If you don't have access to burdock root, you can just leave it out.
・When you add the vegetables into the rice cooker, the hardest vegetables should be placed at the bottom to ensure that all the veggies cook equally.
・Leeks, lotus root, other kinds of mushrooms, sweet potato, and konnyaku would work perfectly in this recipe.
- First E-cookbooks are now available！ I hope this will be helpful and enjoyable in your kitchen^^
-Please check out beautiful Japanese tableware to decorate your table! Use my code MIWA to get 5% off from your purchase!
-If you need very sharp quality knife, I highly recommend this handmade Japanese knife made by 80 years old Japanese maker!