Updated: Jan 28, 2022
<ATSUAGE & RAPESEED SIMMERED DISH/ 厚揚げの煮物>
＜Yield> 4 servings
<Prep time> 6 minutes
<Cook time> 12 minutes
170g deep-fried tofu/atsuage
1 small carrot
3 shiitake mushrooms
100g (about a handful) nanohana/young shoots of rapeseed
1 tablespoon bonito flakes (optional, not vegan if used)
2 cups water
2 ½ tablespoons light soy sauce
2 ½ tablespoons Mirin
1½ teaspoons Kombu dashi powder / vegetable dashi powder
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1. Peel the carrot and cut into bite sized pieces. In a pot pour in the water and add in the carrots. Bring water to a boil then cook for 6-7 minutes over medium heat or until the carrots are 80% cooked through. Keep the carrots in the water.
2. Remove the stem from the shiitake mushrooms. Cut the fried tofu into large chunks.
3. Cut the rapeseed in half. Blanch the bottom parts for 20 seconds then add in the top half of the rapeseed for an additional 10 seconds of cooking. Drain the water and transfer to an ice bath.
3. In a large pot add in the kombu stock powder, light soy sauce, mirin and sugar. Add in the cooked carrots along with their water. Place in fried tofu and shiitake mushroom. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer over low heat for 6 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and add in the blanched rapeseed. Let the mixture come to room temperature then transfer to a serving dish.
<Miwa’s tips> ※Watch more on YouTube!
-If you can't find young rapeseed (nanohana), feel free to use spinach as a substitute.
-If you don’t have fried tofu you can swap it out for firm tofu. Remember to remove the moisture from the tofu first.
-If the recipe tastes a bit bland then feel free to add more salt and mirin.
-If you have time, let the dish rest overnight to let it absorb more sauce.
-If you are not vegan, sprinkle with some bonito flakes as a finishing touch.
Make sure to keep it in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- First E-cookbooks are now available！ I hope this will be helpful and enjoyable in your kitchen^^
-Please check out beautiful Japanese tableware to decorate your table! Use my code MIWA to get 5% off from your purchase!
-If you need very sharp quality knife, I highly recommend this handmade Japanese knife made by 80 years old Japanese maker!