<FERMENTED RED BEAN PASTE>
Updated: Jan 19, 2022
<FERMENTED RED BEAN PASTE/ 発酵あんこ>
＜Yield> 5 serving
<Prep time> 5 minutes
<Cook time> 8 minutes (doesn’t include fermentation time)
200g red beans
¼ teaspoon-½ teaspoon salt
1. Wash the red beans thoroughly. Into a pressure cooker add in the red beans and water. Once the pressure is built up, cook for 7 minutes. Carefully release the pressure. It's important that the red beans are fully cooked at this stage.
2. Strain and save the liquid. Let the cooked red beans and liquid cool down to 60℃/ 140℉. Transfer the red beans into the rice cooker and mix with koji. Just make sure the temperature is not higher than 60℃/ 140℉ otherwise the koji (rice malt) will be destroyed.
3. Add in the red bean liquid into the rice cooker. I add about 1 cup of liquid but it all depends on your preference how much liquid to add. If you want the red bean paste to be on the mushier and smoother side then feel free to add more water.
4. Set the rice cooker to warming mode and leave the lid open. You will need a wet cloth to cover the rice cooker to keep the temperature around 60℃. Let it ferment for 8 hours. Make sure to mix the beans every 2 hours and ensure that you keep the cloth wet to keep the beans moist.
5. After 8 hours of fermentation add in ½ tsp of salt and mix. Now it's ready to be enjoyed.
<Miwa’s tips> ※Watch more on YouTube!
1. If you don’t have a pressure cooker then add water and red beans into a regular pot. Simmer for 1 hour with the lid on. Add in more water during the cooking process. The goal here is to cook the red beans long enough so that they can be mashed with two fingers.
Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- First E-cookbooks are now available！ I hope this will be helpful and enjoyable in your kitchen^^
-Please check out beautiful Japanese tableware to decorate your table! Use my code MIWA to get 5% off from your purchase!
-If you need very sharp quality knife, I highly recommend this handmade Japanese knife made by 80 years old Japanese maker!