Updated: Mar 10
When summer is here, curry becomes even more popular in Japan.
Don't ask why! haha
Dry curry is not a Japanese traditional food recipe, but it's certainly hits the spot!
Using a Japanese curry roux always results in a delicious curry but this dry curry recipe is more on the healthier side without using the curry roux.
For me, curry is always a way to clean up my fridge. I just throw whatever I have in my fridge especially if I have some wilted veggies. In this Japanese dry curry, I put in celery, tomatoes, carrots, onions and mushroom BUT as always you can be creative with what you add. This dry curry is really forgiving.
Enjoy the taste of summer with this dry curry recipe!
<JAPANESE DRY CURRY>
＜Yield> 5 servings
<Prep time> 5 minutes
<Cook time> 15- 20 minutes
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 cup mushrooms
½ cup celery, chopped
2 large tomatoes
1 large onion
7oz (200g) beef mince/ground beef
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
½ cup water
3 tablespoons tomato ketchup
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1½ tablespoons curry powder
1 tablespoon Soy sauce
2 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon garlic, grated
1 teaspoon ginger, grated
1 teaspoon fish sauce
salt and pepper
1. Cut all the vegetables into small pieces. Grate the garlic and ginger.
2. In a pan heat the vegetable oil over high heat then add in the beef mince/ground beef. Cook until the beef turns brown and is cooked completely. Then add in all the chopped vegetables. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt and let cook away over medium heat for about 8-10 minutes.
3. When the vegetables start to wilt and sweat, add in the curry powder. Continue to cook for an additional 2 minutes to draw out the flavor. Add in the rest of the seasonings listed above. Thicken the sauce over medium heat for 5 minutes or until there is almost no liquid remaining and it reaches a paste like consistency.
4. Serve it on your plate along with steamed rice. Add in roasted veggies or any other herbs if you like it. Now it's ready to be enjoyed.
・You want to chop the veggies finely.
・Any meat mince/ground meat will work in this recipe.
・In step 2, please be patient and cook the veggies gradually. You don’t want to add in the liquid too soon. This way, you can maximize the flavor of the veggies.
・Once you add in the curry powder it can easily burn, so keep stirring.
・How spicy you want the curry to be is up to you. Please adjust the taste by adding more or less curry powder. This recipe is not that spicy since I'm making it kids friendly.
・Eggplant, peppers, corn and potatoes are also good options.
・You can swap out the fish sauce for soy sauce or oyster sauce, but a tiny bit of fish sauce really deepen the flavor.
<Recommended side dish>
For another curry recipe↓
Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
<Did you try this recipe??>
Let me know by tagging me on Instagram
I love to see your creations!
- First E-cookbooks are now available！ I hope this will be helpful and enjoyable in your kitchen^^
-Please check out beautiful Japanese tableware to decorate your table! Use my code MIWA to get 5% off from your purchase!
-If you need very sharp quality knife, I highly recommend this handmade Japanese knife made by 80 years old Japanese maker!