Updated: Feb 3
Looking for a refreshing side dish?
Japanese pickles are perfect for you!
This Japanese pickle is called HAKUSAIDUKE( 白菜漬け) in Japanese.
The recipe is extremely easy and simple. You only need 4 ingredients! Moreover, it's a probiotic. I keep them in my fridge as a meal prep and enjoy with rice and miso soup in the morning.
The recipe is also a plant based/vegan. I hope many vegetable lovers will try this healthy Japanese food recipe!
<JAPANESE PICKLES- 白菜漬けHAKUSAIZUKE->
<Yield> 4 servings
<Prep time> 15 minutes (does not include the time for fermenting)
<Cook time> 0 minutes
500g Chinese cabbage (approximately ¼ of a head)
10cm×10cm piece kombu
2 teaspoons (10g) sea salt (2% of weight of Chinese cabbage)
1 dried chili / 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
few slices of yuzu peel
1. Wash the Chinese cabbage and wipe off the excess moisture. Chop them into large pieces. Transfer into a ziplock bag. Sprinkle with some salt and then massage it in. Leave it for 5 minutes until it starts to sweat.
2. Cut the kombu into strips. Remove the seeds from the dried chili and cut into small pieces. Thinly slice the peel of the yuzu.
3. Add the kombu strips, chopped chilies and yuzu peels into the cabbage bag from step 1. Massage the additional ingredients and close the ziplock bag. Put something heavy (2kg) on top of the bag and let it rest in the fridge for 2 days.
4. When you see lots of water come out and small bubbles appearing then they are ready to eat.
<Miwa’s tips> ※Watch more on YouTube!
・You need a large ziplock bag.
・Dried chili is for preservation. Even if you are sensitive to heat, please do not leave it out.
・Yuzu is optional.
・If you have time, leave the Chinese cabbage under the sun for 3 hours to dry before adding them into the ziplock bag. This process will elevate the flavor.
・You can make a larger portion. Always remember to use 2% salt per weight of Chinese cabbage.
Store pickles in the fridge for up to 1 week.
<Recommended dish to go with>
- First E-cookbooks are now available！ I hope this will be helpful and enjoyable in your kitchen^^
-Please check out beautiful Japanese tableware to decorate your table! Use my code MIWA to get 5% off from your purchase!
-If you need very sharp quality knife, I highly recommend this handmade Japanese knife made by 80 years old Japanese maker!