<KITSUNE UDON/ きつねうどん >
＜Yield> 2 servings
<Prep time> 10 minutes
<Cook time> 20 minutes
2 serving frozen udon noodle (300g)
2 ½ tbsp Mirin
2 tbsp Soy sauce
1 dashi packet/ 1 tsp dashi granules/ kombu dashi ( if you are plant based)
2 ½ cups water ( 600ml)
Seasoned Fried tofu
3 pieces thin fried tofu
<Seasoning A >
½ cup water ( 150ml)
1 tbsp Soy sauce
1 ½ tbsp Mirin
1 ½ tbsp rice wine
1 tsp sugar
Topping ( Optional)
chopped spring onion
1.To make soup, put water and dashi bag into the pot. Once it comes to a boil, lower the heat and steep the dashi bag for 4 mins. Shake the dashi bag and remove it from the pot. Add salt, soy sauce, and mirin. Once it comes to a boil, off the heat.Have a taste and add more salt if it’s needed.
2. Boil frozen udon noodles according to the package instruction.OR you can also microwave them 600w for about 2-3 mins.Rinse it under the faucet.Drain the water. Serve it in the soup bowl.
3. Remove the excess oil from the fried tofu by pressing it with a paper towel. Cut the fried tofu in half. In a pot, place in the fried tofu and the ingredients listed under "Seasoning A". Simmer until all the liquid has evaporated.
4. Pour the hot soup ( Step1) over the udon noodle ( Step2). Top seasoned fried tofu along with your choice of toppings such as spinach and chopped spring onion. Ready to be enjoyed.
If you make seasoned fried tofu ahead of time, you can whip up this recipe within 10 mins.
2. Dashi bags and dashi granules contain some salt in it. Feel free to adjust the taste by adding more salt or less.
3. If you are plant based, use kombu dashi or dried shiitake dashi.
Store seasoned tofu in an air-tight container for up to 3 days in the fridge. Soup and udon should be served right after you make it.