Updated: Feb 3
This miso potato gratin is perfect for Christmas dinner!!
Decadent, rich and creamy with just a few ingredients.
If you have no idea what to make for your Christmas dinner, let this recipe be on your go-to list!
If you make this recipe please tag me on Instagram!
I am really hoping all of you to have a wonderful holiday!
<MISO POTATO GRATIN>
＜Yield> 5 servings
<Prep time> 5 minutes
<Cook time> 20 minutes
2 medium potatoes (350g)
1 large yellow onion
your favorite cheese
2 cups soy milk
2 tablespoons salted butter
1.5 tablespoons all purpose flour
1.5 teaspoon yellow miso paste
salt and pepper
1. Peel the skin from the potatoes and remove the eyes. Cut them into ½ inch slices and soak in water for 5 minutes to remove the starch. Microwave the potato slices for 4 minutes at 600w or until the fork sticks in without any resistance.
2. Slice the onion and mushrooms thinly. Cut the bacon into thick bite sized pieces.
3. In a pan heat the butter over medium heat and then add in the onions, mushrooms and bacon. Cook them for about 8 minutes until the onions wilt and become lightly caramelized. Sprinkle in the all purpose flour and sauté them until there is no more flour remaining. Add in ¼ cup of soy milk then cook it down. Repeat the same process twice. Then add in the rest of the soy milk. Thicken the sauce over low heat. Dissolve in the miso paste. Remove from heat and then adjust the taste with salt and pepper.
4. In a baking dish, pour half of the mixture from step 3. Cover the mixture with the sliced potatoes from step 1. Next add in the rest of the mixture from step 3. Sprinkle on some cheese. Bake it in the oven at 200C for 15 minutes. Garnish with some chopped parsley. Now it's ready to be enjoyed!
<Miwa’s tips>※more tips on YouTube!!
・Depending on the bacon you use, you might not need to add much salt. Be sure to adjust the taste in step 3 before baking!
・You can swap bacon for chicken.
・You can use any milk you have on hand.
・Red miso is not suitable for this recipe. White miso and yellow miso is preferable.
・Please use a variety of potato which will hold its shape.
・Simply swap bacon for any vegetables which has a natural sweetness like carrot, leek, corn, pumpkin and sweet potato. Different kinds of mushroom will work really well.
・Make sure to sauté veggies well with salt before you add in any liquid.
Store it in an air-tight container in the fridge for 3 days after it’s cooked.
- First E-cookbooks are now available！ I hope this will be helpful and enjoyable in your kitchen^^
-Please check out beautiful Japanese tableware to decorate your table! Use my code MIWA to get 5% off from your purchase!
-If you need very sharp quality knife, I highly recommend this handmade Japanese knife made by 80 years old Japanese maker!