Updated: Apr 13
This recipe is not about raw fish. It's all about a new onion dressing.
I've been using this new onion a lot since they are in season at the Japanese supermarket.
New baby onion is the one on the left↓
I'm a big fan of new onions!!!
As you can see, they have a thinner skin, are more moist, sweeter, softer and less pungent than a regular yellow onion.
They are perfect for making a salad. I’m a little sensitive to onion pungency but I can eat this onion raw.
In Japan, they are generally available from April to June. Do you have one in your country? If you are in Japan, I highly recommend to buy this new onion (新たまねぎ）!
I'm using bonito fish since it’s also in season now, but feel free to swap for any sashimi grade raw fish.
This recipe might not be for kids but it's perfect for those who love drinking at dinner time! Haha!
Thank you very much for your support!
＜Yield> 2 servings
<Prep time> 6 minutes
<Cook time> 2 minutes
8 slices of sashimi grade raw fish (I used smoked sashimi bonito fish)
1 large new onion
1 teaspoon ginger, grated
Seasonings for dressing
3 ½ tablespoons Soy sauce
3 tablespoons Sushi vinegar
2 ½ tablespoons Toasted sesame oil
1 ½ tablespoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons salted rice malt
★For substitution of seasonings, see Miwa's tips below
1. Chop ½ of onion and myoga finely. They should be about the same size.
2. Grate the other half of the onion, cover it with plastic wrap and microwave it for one minute at 600w. After, transfer it to a mixing bowl.
3. In the mixing bowl with the cooked onions, add in the grated ginger and all seasoning listed above. Mix them together.
4. Combine 1 and 3. Refrigerate for at least an hour.
5. Place your raw fish on your serving plate and drizzle with some chilled dressing. Garnish with some some shiso herbs and time to dig in!
<Miwa’s tip> Sorry there's a lot to tell you! Haha!
・Tuna, salmon, scallops and boiled shrimp are also good. Even drizzling this dressing on avocado or tofu is yum!
・If you are sensitive to onion pungency, soak the finely chopped onion in water for 5 minutes and drain the liquid. Also if you are making it with a regular onion, they are more pungent, so you'll definitely want to soak in water first!!
・This dressing need to be chilled.
・Myoga is totally optional.
・If you don’t have salted rice malt, just add extra teaspoon of soy sauce and a pinch of salt
・If you don’t have sushi vinegar, you can add 2 tbsp of vinegar ＋1 1/2 tbsp of sugar.
For the onion dressing→store it in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- First E-cookbooks are now available！ I hope this will be helpful and enjoyable in your kitchen^^
-Please check out beautiful Japanese tableware to decorate your table! Use my code MIWA to get 5% off from your purchase!
-If you need very sharp quality knife, I highly recommend this handmade Japanese knife made by 80 years old Japanese maker!