Updated: May 12, 2022
<SALMON MUSHROOM MIXED RICE/ 秋鮭ごはん>
＜Yield> 4 servings
<Prep time> 15 minutes (doesn’t include the time to soak the rice)
<Cook time> 25 minutes
2 cups (300g) Japanese sushi rice
150g shimeji mushroom
½ cup (80g) carrot, Julienne
⅓ cup (50g) burdock root, Julienne
1 tablespoon sake/rice wine
1 tablespoon Soy sauce
½ teaspoon salt, for rice
¼ teaspoon salt, for salmon
1. Rinse the rice and soak for 1 hour in water. Drain the water.
2. Sprinkle ¼ teaspoon of salt over the salmon fillet. Leave it for 10 minutes. Wipe off the excess moisture from the salmon by patting it with a clean kitchen towel or paper towel.
3. Cut the carrot and burdock root into thin matchsticks. Remove the stem from the shimeji mushrooms.
4. In a pot add the rice from step 1, ½ teaspoon salt, soy sauce, sake and water. Mix together. Place the cut burdock root, carrots, mushrooms and salmon on top.
5. Cook over high heat. Once it comes to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to low. Continue to cook for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, bring the heat back up to high for 10-15 seconds. Turn off the heat and let the rice mixture steam for 15 minutes with the lid on.
6. After the rice has steamed for 15 minutes, open the lid and remove the salmon. Mix the rice from the bottom to the top. Remove the bones and skin from the salmon then put the salmon back into the rice. Mix once more and now it's ready to be enjoyed.
<Miwa’s tips> ※Watch more on YouTube!
1. If you don’t have burdock root a good substitute is to use ginger and leeks to reduce the fishy smell.
2. Please do not open the lid in step 5 until the steaming process is done.
Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- First E-cookbooks are now available！ I hope this will be helpful and enjoyable in your kitchen^^
-Please check out beautiful Japanese tableware to decorate your table! Use my code MIWA to get 5% off from your purchase!
-If you need very sharp quality knife, I highly recommend this handmade Japanese knife made by 80 years old Japanese maker!