Updated: Mar 25
How many of you have a microwave at home? I use my microwave when I want to minimize cooking time and clean-ups.
Today’s dish is spring rolls. I’m making the veggie and meat filling in a microwave, so that all you have to do is roll it up and then fry it. Sounds easy right??
I hope you enjoy it!
Tag me on Instagram if you make it!
Please subscribe to my Youtube channel for future recipes!
＜Yield> 3-4 servings
<Prep time> 5 minutes
<Cook time> 15 minutes
8 sheets spring roll wrapper
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 tablespoon water
Veggie and meat filling
150g pork belly or pork shoulder
60g bamboo shoots or carrots
3 tablespoons rice wine
2 tablespoons Soy sauce
1½ tablespoons oyster sauce
1 tablespoon potato starch/ corn starch
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon ginger, grated
1 teaspoon garlic, grated
½ teaspoon salt
1. Shred the bamboo shoot into matchsticks. Slice the leek thinly. Chop the pork into small pieces. Mix all the seasonings listed above in a large microwave safe container.
2. In seasonings container add in the chopped pork, bamboo shoots and leeks. Loosely cover with plastic wrap. Microwave it for 4 minutes at 600w. Give it a good toss then return it back into the microwave, loosely covered, for another 5 minutes. There should be almost no liquid left.
3. Place an 1/8th of a portion of filling on your wrapper with the point facing up. See photos below. Fold the bottom edge towards the center the fold in the sides. Roll the bottom edge until you reach the end of the folded sides. Seal the wrap with flour glue (1 tbsp of flour + 1 tbsp of water).
4. Shallow fry them over medium-high heat for 2 minutes for both sides or until they become nice and golden brown on the outside. Drain the oil and transfer to your plate.
・You can use whatever vegetable you have on hand. For example, red peppers, carrots, broccoli, onions, mushrooms work well. Also you can swap the pork for beef or any ground meat.
・When you microwave the meat mixture, make sure to loosely cover with plastic wrap. if it’s too tight, there is a chance it might explode.
・Depending on which vegetables you use for the filling, the liquid content varies. Before you use the mixture in the wrap, there should be almost no liquid left. If it’s too watery, dissolve in ½ tbsp of potato starch and then microwave it for another 1-2 minutes.
・I like to eat mine with mustard and rice vinegar, but this is totally optional.
・These are a great option for your bento box. This was actually my favorite when I was in school.
・If you don't have a microwave, you can just stir fry everything in a pan! Stir fry the meat and vegetable first, then when it's half way cooked, drizzle on the seasonings, and cook away until there is no liquid remaining.
<Recommended side dishes>
Store them in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Freeze them for up to 3 weeks.
- First E-cookbooks are now available！ I hope this will be helpful and enjoyable in your kitchen^^
-Please check out beautiful Japanese tableware to decorate your table! Use my code MIWA to get 5% off from your purchase!
-If you need very sharp quality knife, I highly recommend this handmade Japanese knife made by 80 years old Japanese maker!