<TERIYAKI TOFU WITH EGG SAUCE>
Updated: May 12, 2022
<TERIYAKI TOFU WITH EGG SAUCE/ 豆腐南蛮>
＜Yield> 2 servings
<Prep time> 10 minutes (doesn't include time for freezing tofu)
<Cook time> 15 minutes
-300g (10.5oz) firm tofu
-2 tablespoons high heat oil
-2 tablespoons potato starch or corn starch
-salt & black pepper
-2 tablespoons Soy sauce
-1 tablespoon granulated sugar
-1 tablespoon vinegar
-1 tablespoon water
¼ cup onion, minced
1½ tablespoons Japanese mayo
1 tablespoon unsweetened yogurt
½ teaspoon granulated sugar
-any leafy greens
1. To make tofu meat, cut the tofu into bite size pieces. I cut one block of tofu into 8 pieces. Put them into a container and freeze until frozen.
2. Thaw the tofu and then squeeze gently to draw out the liquid and wipe off the excess.
3. Season the tofu meat with salt and pepper. Next, coat tofu meat with potato starch. In a small bowl, mix teriyaki sauce as listed above.
4. Heat oil over medium-high heat then pan fry the tofu until it’s nice and crispy on both sides. Remove from heat and wipe the oil from the pan. Add the mixed sauce and thicken the sauce for 1 minute over medium-low heat. Transfer to a plate.
5. To make the egg sauce, first boil eggs for 9 minutes then let them cool in an ice bath. Remove the shells then mash the eggs with a fork. Mix in the finely minced onion, Japanese mayo, yogurt and sugar.
6. Spoon generous amounts of egg sauce (step 5) on top of the teriyaki tofu (step 4). Garnish with chopped green onion and black pepper if you want.
<Miwa’s tips> ※Watch more on YouTube!
1. In step 3, I would suggest transferring the tofu straight into the oiled pan once the tofu is coated with potato starch, otherwise it will start to stick to the plate.
2. Once you add the teriyaki sauce, make sure to keep the heat at medium-low. It's very easy for the sauce to burn.
3. If you are plant based, omit the eggs from the recipe and swap for vegan mayo. Also add in a bunch of your favorite fresh herbs.
Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- First E-cookbooks are now available！ I hope this will be helpful and enjoyable in your kitchen^^
-Please check out beautiful Japanese tableware to decorate your table! Use my code MIWA to get 5% off from your purchase!
-If you need very sharp quality knife, I highly recommend this handmade Japanese knife made by 80 years old Japanese maker!