Updated: Jan 28, 2022
<TOFU TERIYAKI MEATBALLS/ 豆腐つくね>
＜Yield> 3 servings
<Prep time> 10 minutes
<Cook time> 7 minutes
250g chicken mince/ground chicken
100g firm tofu
½ cup carrot, minced
¼ cup leek, chopped
1½ tablespoons potato starch
1 teaspoon ginger, grated
¼ teaspoon salt
3½ tablespoons Mirin
2 tablespoons Soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine
1. Grate the ginger. Remove the water from the tofu by putting something heavy on top of it for 15 minutes. Mince the carrot. Chop the leek into small pieces.
2. In a bowl add chicken mince, tofu, potato starch, grated ginger, salt, carrots and leeks. Combine everything together with your hand or a spoon until it becomes pasty and sticky. Mold the meat into a small circular disk shape with your hands.
3. To a pan over medium heat add 1 teaspoon of oil if needed. Arrange the meatballs in the pan keeping a ½ inch space between them. Cook them for 4 minutes or until the bottom side is nice and brown. Flip them over and steam them for another 3 minutes with the lid on over medium low heat.
4. In the same pan add in the soy sauce, mirin and rice wine. Once the sauce comes to a boil, reduce to a simmer. Continue to cook until the sauce has thickened. Serve it on a plate and sprinkle with some sesame seeds if you want to.
<Miwa’s tips> ※Watch more on YouTube!
1. You can use all types of ground meat except for beef. Chicken thigh, breast or turkey etc...
2. If you are looking to make a vegan version of this tofu teriyaki, please go to this link!
3. Just like I showed in the video, it's nice to mix them with sushi rice. Here is how to make sushi rice!
Store them in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- First E-cookbooks are now available！ I hope this will be helpful and enjoyable in your kitchen^^
-Please check out beautiful Japanese tableware to decorate your table! Use my code MIWA to get 5% off from your purchase!
-If you need very sharp quality knife, I highly recommend this handmade Japanese knife made by 80 years old Japanese maker!
2021/ 04/24 MIWA