Updated: Oct 6, 2022
< ONE POT TOMATO MISO RICE/ トマトと味噌の炊き込みご飯>
＜Yield> 4 servings
<Prep time> 7 mins ( It doesn’t include rice soaking time)
<Cook time> 40 mins
300g Japanese sushi rice
1 large tomato (200g)
1 large / 1 ½ cups sliced onion (300g)
2 cloves garlic
3 pieces shiitake mushrooms
1½ tbsp salted rice malt (shiokoji)/ ¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp yellow miso
½ tbsp bouillon cube/ soup stock powder
½ cup your choice of cheese
½ cup frozen edamame deshelled
1 tbsp fresh parsley
1. Rinse and soak the rice for 1 hour. Drain the water and set aside. Mince garlic. Slice the onion thinly. Thinly slice the cap part of the shiitake mushrooms and tear the stem by hand.
2. To a pan on high heat, add in the oil. Next add in the onions, garlic and shiokoji OR ¼ tsp of salt. Cook them until they are brown and caramelized. Set aside for now.
3. To a pot, add in the rinsed rice (from step 1), 300ml water, bouillon cubes and miso. Mix them to dissolve. To the top of the rice add on the caramelized onions, shiitake mushrooms and tomato.
4. Cook the rice mixture over high heat. Once it comes to a boil, close the lid and reduce the heat to low. Continue to cook for 10 mins. After 10 mins, bring the heat back up to high heat for 15 seconds. Then remove from heat and let the rice steam for 15 mins with the lid on.
5. Mix everything together. Add in the cheese and edamame. Close the lid and continue to let it steam until the cheese melts. Garnish with some parsley if you want.
<Miwa’s tips> ※Watch more on YouTube!
1. Depending on the kind of bouillon cube or soup stock you are using, the sodium content will vary. Adjust the final taste with salt and miso paste.
2. You can use a rice cooker in step 3 instead of a pot.
Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for 3 days, and freezer for up to a month.
- First E-cookbooks are now available！ I hope this will be helpful and enjoyable in your kitchen^^
-Please check out beautiful Japanese tableware to decorate your table! Use my code MIWA to get 5% off from your purchase!
-If you need a very sharp quality knife, I highly recommend this handmade Japanese knife made by 80 years old Japanese artisan!