Updated: May 12, 2022
<VEGAN SUSHI PARTY/ ビーガン手巻き寿司>
＜Yield> 2-3 servings
<Prep time> 20 minutes (doesn't include the time to soak the rice)
<Cook time> 30 minutes
230g Japanese sushi rice
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1½ tablespoons granulated sugar
¾ teaspoon salt
6 sheets nori seaweed
<Avocado wasabi paste>
½ large avocado
½ teaspoon lemon juice
½ teaspoon wasabi
½ teaspoon soy sauce
¼ cup canned corn, drained
1 tablespoon vegan mayonaise
See this recipe
<Crunchy bean sprouts & carrot>
100g bean sprouts
1 cup (60g) carrot, shredded
1 tablespoon ground toasted sesame seeds
1 teaspoon Toasted sesame oil
½ teaspoon salt
red bell pepper
1. Rinse the rice and soak for 1 hour in water. Drain the water and then cook rice with equal parts of rice to water in a rice cooker.
2. To make sushi vinegar mix together sugar, salt and rice vinegar. Drizzle the mixture on top of the steaming hot sushi rice (step 1). Mix together and fan the rice until it's completely cooled.
3. Chop the cucumber and red bell pepper into pinky sized pieces. Remove the bottom of broccoli sprouts. Mix the drained canned corn with the mayo.
4. Peel the skin from the avocado and mash it with a fork in a small bowl. Add in the lemon juice, soy sauce and wasabi paste. Give it a good mix until well combined.
5. Blanch the beans sprouts for 5 seconds. Shred the carrot into thin matchsticks. Sprinkle the cut carrots with salt and massage it until they start to sweat. Let them sit for 5 minutes then squeeze out the liquid.
6. Into a bowl add carrots, bean sprouts, toasted sesame oil and toasted sesame seeds. Toss to coat.
7. Make the tofu scramble according to this recipe.
8. Just before serving, cut the nori into quarters. Plate all the components separately and artfully arrange them. When it comes time to eat, take a piece of nori and spread a thin layer of rice followed by your favorite toppings. Fold the nori and dip it into the soy sauce along with wasabi. Enjoy!
<Miwa’s tips> ※Watch more on YouTube!
1. Please use Japanese sushi sticky rice (short grain rice). You can substitute rice vinegar with apple cider vinegar.
2. Feel free to use any raw vegetable or even fruit as a topping.
3. Here is how to make Japanese sushi rice in a pot in case you don’t own a rice cooker.
Store all the components separate in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Japanese sushi rice will dry up after it’s combined with sushi vinegar. In order to make ahead of time, reheat the plain Japanese sushi rice and mix it with sushi vinegar just before serving it.
☆彡My family enjoyed the sushi with Japanese sake! It was such a good paring! If you want to give it a try, click here and use MIWACOOKING for $20 off. This code will expire at the end of December 2021.
- First E-cookbooks are now available！ I hope this will be helpful and enjoyable in your kitchen^^
-Please check out beautiful Japanese tableware to decorate your table! Use my code MIWA to get 5% off from your purchase!
-If you need very sharp quality knife, I highly recommend this handmade Japanese knife made by 80 years old Japanese maker!