Updated: Mar 19, 2022
OYAKODON is a very popular Japanese food!! It's originally made out of a combination of chicken and eggs but the tofu version is very tasty and easy!
If you want to make this recipe vegan, then please leave out the eggs from this recipe!
< VEGETARIAN TOFU OYAKODON ~JAPANESE RICE BOWL RECIPE~>
＜Yield> 2 servings
<Prep time> 6 minutes
<Cook time> 7 minutes
10oz (300g) firm tofu
3 shiitake mushrooms
2 servings steamed Japanese sushi rice
120ml kombu stock (1 teaspoon powder + 120ml water) (Kombu dashi powder / vegetable dashi powder)
4 tablespoons Mirin
3 tablespoons Soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1. Slice the onion thinly. Julienne a carrot into thin matchsticks. Slice the shiitake mushrooms. Shred the mitsuba leaf. Make the kombu stock, which is 1/2 teaspoon kombu powder dissolved in 120ml of water, in a bowl. To the bowl, add in mirin, sugar and soy sauce. Mix together. Crack the eggs into a bowl and roughly whisk. You don’t have to whisk them completely because we want the egg yolks and the whites to remain separate in the bowl. This is so that you can enjoy the different textures and colors when the egg is topped on the rice.
2. In a pan add in the sliced onions, carrots and shiitake mushrooms. Next pour in the mixed seasonings (kombu mixture from step 1). Turn on the heat and bring it to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, let it simmer for 5 minutes or until the vegetables get soft. Break the tofu roughly by hand and add it to the vegetables. Cover with a lid then summer for an additional 2 minutes or until the tofu has warmed.
3. Pour half of the egg mixture using a swirling motion to evenly distribute the egg. Cover with a lid and then cook it for approximately 30 seconds over low heat. Open the lid and pour the rest of the egg mixture by spreading it equally over the chicken. Add in the mitsuba leaf. Pop the lid back on and remove from heat immediately. Let it steam for 10 seconds.
4. Make a bed of nori seaweed on the steamed rice. Pour on the simmered tofu along with the vegetables. Don’t forget to pour on the yummy sauce! Garnish with some mitsuba or chopped green onions. Now it's ready to be enjoyed!
<Miwa’s tips> ※Sharing more tips on the video!
・If you want to make this vegan you can totally leave the eggs out.
It will still be very flavorful!
・If you are wondering what kind of tofu to use, it is actually up to you, but remember the more firm it is, the more filling it becomes.
<Recommended side dish>
Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
<Did you try this recipe??>
Let me know by tagging me on Instagram
I love to see your creations!
- First E-cookbooks are now available！ I hope this will be helpful and enjoyable in your kitchen^^
-Please check out beautiful Japanese tableware to decorate your table! Use my code MIWA to get 5% off from your purchase!
-If you need very sharp quality knife, I highly recommend this handmade Japanese knife made by 80 years old Japanese maker!