Updated: Jan 21
< BITTERMELON STIR-FRY/ ゴーヤチャンプル->
<Yield> 2 servings
<Prep time> 5 minutes
<Cook time> 8 minutes
300g firm tofu/extra firm tofu
1½ cups bitter melon (approximately 15cm)
1 cup carrot, thinly sliced
½ cup onion, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon tenmenjan
1 tablespoon rice oil (or high heat oil)
1 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine
1 teaspoon Kombu dashi powder / vegetable dashi powder
1. Use a spoon to remove the core and the seeds from the bitter. Slice the bitter melon into about ½ inch thick slices (or thinner if you are sensitive to bitterness). Sprinkle the slices with ½ tsp of salt then massage it in. Leave it for 2 minutes. Soak the slices in water for 3 minutes. Drain the water and wipe off the excess moisture from the slices.
2. Thinly slice the carrot and roughly chop the onion. Remove the moisture from the tofu by putting something heavy on top of it for 15 minutes.
3. To a pan over high heat, add in the high heat oil followed by the carrots and onions. Sprinkle with a few pinch of salt and cook for about 2 minutes. Add in the bitter melon and mayonnaise. Season with kombu stock powder and tenmensian sauce. Continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes. When the sauce and the ingredients are well combined, add the tofu by roughly crumbling it into pieces. Splash in the rice wine and continue to cook for another 2 minutes. Lastly add in the soy sauce and toasted sesame oil. Give it one more toss and remove from heat immediately.
4. Adjust the final taste with salt. Garnish some crushed nuts. Now it's ready to be enjoyed.
<Miwa’s point>※Watch more on YouTube.
1. You can swap out the bitter melon for eggplant, bell pepper or even zucchini.
2. If tenmensian is not available please use hoisin sauce or miso paste as a substitute. Please start by adding ½ tablespoon of hoisin or miso then gradually increase more both of these options are saltier than tenmensian.
3. If you are sensitive bitterness then please slice the bitter melon even thinner.
Store in a air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- First E-cookbooks are now available！ I hope this will be helpful and enjoyable in your kitchen^^
-Please check out beautiful Japanese tableware to decorate your table! Use my code MIWA to get 5% off from your purchase!
-If you need very sharp quality knife, I highly recommend this handmade Japanese knife made by 80 years old Japanese maker!