Updated: Mar 21
I love summer vegetables in Japan. I especially love corn, it's one of my favorites and also my kids! My top two faves are edamame and corn! What are yours??
In this recipe, I'm introducing how to make Japanese corn rice in a pot.
That way, if you don't have a rice cooker, you can still make delicious corn rice!
While you are cooking the entire kitchen will be filled with the sweet corn aroma, which makes me even happier and more hungry!
Because I love corn, I wrote lots of tips and options down below. Haha.
Make sure to read through Miwa's tips before you give it a shot!
<JAPANESE CORN RICE>
▶gluten free, vegan & vegetarian ( without butter)
＜Yield> 5-6 servings
<Prep time> 5 minutes (doesn’t include rice soaking time)
<Cook time> 25 minutes
300g (10.5oz) rice
50ml rice wine ( if you don't have it, swap for water)
1½ tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
1. Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes. Cut the corn cob in half. Remove the kernels from the corn cob.
2. Drain the water from the rice and it into a pot. Add in the water, rice wine and salt. Give it a stir. Place in the corn cobs and kernels on top. Cover with a lid.
3. Bring it to a boil, then lower the heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes over low heat. After 10 minutes, bring it back to high heat for 10 seconds. Remove from heat and steam for another 15 minutes.
4. Open the lid and remove the corn cobs. Mix it from the bottom to top, in that motion. Drop in the butter and let it melt as you mix it. Serve it in bowls and splash on some soy sauce and black pepper if you want. Now it's ready to be enjoyed.
・Do not open the lid for the entire cooking process. You will lose the steam and it won't be fully cooked.
・In step 3, cooking the rice for 10 seconds over high heat will evaporate the excess moisture at the bottom. Try not to skip this step!
・This recipe has a very subtile and delicate flavor. I do this purposely, so that I can use this rice to balance out with other dishes that I serve. If you think that the rice tastes is too bland, then add in a splash of soy sauce and black pepper. You will especially want to do this if you are eating it as a standalone meal.
・When you serve it, make sure to have plenty of corn kernels on each serving. The natural sweetness of corn is the highlight of this dish! That’s why I only make this with fresh corn.
・It’s also so so delicious to turn it into a grilled rice ball. Make a triangle shape with the corn rice and smother the soy sauce on one side. Grill the soy sauce side first and flip. Next smother the soy sauce on the other side! Grill it until it becomes nice and charred. You want to place a piece of parchment paper or aluminum foil on the pan before adding the rice balls, to prevent them from sticking.
・If you have a rice cooker, just go through the same steps until step 2 and then cook the rice on regular mode.
<Recommended side dishes>
Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Store in an air-tight container in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.
<Did you try this recipe??>
Let me know by tagging me on Instagram
I love to see your creations!
- First E-cookbooks are now available！ I hope this will be helpful and enjoyable in your kitchen^^
-Please check out beautiful Japanese tableware to decorate your table! Use my code MIWA to get 5% off from your purchase!
-If you need very sharp quality knife, I highly recommend this handmade Japanese knife made by 80 years old Japanese maker!
More recipes on YouTube!