Updated: Mar 4, 2022
Vegetable sauce on top of the hamburger steak for kids! ↓
Have you tried making Japanese tender hamburg steak before??
Did you ended up with a dry hamburg steak??
<JAPANESE HAMBURG STEAK/ ハンバーグ>
＜Yield> 4 servings
<Prep time> 10 minutes
<Cook time> 10 minutes （+ steaming for 10 minutes)
2 cups (200g) onions, chopped
7oz (200g) minced pork/ground pork
10.5oz (300g) minced beef/ground beef
¼ cup milk
4 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons panko
1½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic, grated
1 teaspoon black pepper
Sauce (for 4 serving)
½ cup red wine
4 tablespoons ketchup
3 tablespoons tonkatsu sauce
1 tablespoon Soy sauce
1. Chop the onion finely. In a large bowl add in the minced pork and beef. Then add in the salt, panko, milk, grated garlic, egg and freshly cracked black pepper. Lastly add in the chopped onion.
2. Mix them until all the ingredients come together and reach a sticky kind of consistency. Grease your hands with olive oil. Scoop a quarter of the mixture and mold it into a round circular shape. Make the surface is smooth by stroking it gently to seal in the juices.
3. Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Gently place your patties in the pan. Let them cook for about 4 minutes over low heat. Flip them and pop a lid on. Continue to cook for another 6 minutes. After 6 minutes remove from heat and then let them steam for another 10 minutes with the lid on.
4. After 10 minutes, open the lid and transfer the hamburg steak onto a plate. Wipe off half of the remaining oil in the pan. Add in the red wine and cook it over medium heat, scraping the burnt bits with your spatula. Then add in the tomato ketchup, tonkatsu sauce and soy sauce. Thicken the sauce to your liking. Drizzle it over the hamburg steak and now it's ready to be enjoyed!
・Do not mix the patty mixture with your hands. Use a spoon to mix it.
・Grease your palms with olive oil before you mold the hamburg steaks.
・If you have a crack on the surface of the patty, the meat juices will flow out from the crack when you grill it.
・By steaming the hamburg steaks, they can be gradually cooked and will result in tender hamburg steaks.
<Recommended side dish>
Store them in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- First E-cookbooks are now available！ I hope this will be helpful and enjoyable in your kitchen^^
-Please check out beautiful Japanese tableware to decorate your table! Use my code MIWA to get 5% off from your purchase!
-If you need very sharp quality knife, I highly recommend this handmade Japanese knife made by 80 years old Japanese maker!