Updated: Mar 4
There are so many Japanese mixed rice recipe that exist in Japan.
Today’s Japanese mixed rice recipe is more filling and enjoyable since It contains ground meat and loads of crunchy vegetables.
As you can easily imagine, you can jazz up this recipe with any of your favorite fresh herbs!
Let me know which herbs and vegetables you mixed with you rice on Instagram!
<JAPANESE MIXED RICE SALAD>
＜Yield> 3 servings
<Prep time> 8 minutes
<Cook time> 45 minutes (cooked in a rice cooker)
To make rice
1 cup (200g) Japanese sushi rice
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
⅓ teaspoon rice oil( any oil without a strong flavor is ok)
minced meat toppings
8.8oz (250g) chicken mince/ground chicken
7oz (200g) pork mince/ground pork
2½ tablespoons Mirin
1 tablespoon Toasted sesame oil
1½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
Any fresh herbs
1. Rinse the rice and drain the water. In a rice cooker add the rinsed rice, water, vinegar, sugar, salt and oil (measurements are written on the To make rice↑ section). Start cooking the rice in a rice cooker.
2. Place the pork mince/ground pork and chicken mince/ground chicken in a pan and flatten them down with the back of a spatula. Cook over high heat for about 2 minutes or until the bottom side becomes nice and charred. Flip them over and continue to cook by breaking the meat into small chunks for 3 minutes. Keep wiping off the excess moisture with a kitchen towel. Add in the 1 ½ teaspoons of salt , mirin and black pepper. Continue to stir for another 2 minutes. Once the meat is cook thorough, add in the toasted sesame oil. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Slice the cucumber thinly. Sprinkle with some salt to make the cucumbers sweat. Massage in the salt and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Squeeze out the excess moisture. Thinly slice the myoga as long as the shiso herb.
4. In a large bowl add in the cooked rice and cooked meat. Toss them together. When it's cool down add in the vegetables (step 3) and toss everything together one more time. Transfer to plates and garnish with some corn. Now it's ready to be enjoyed!
・For shiso and myoga, those can be hard to find outside of Japan. If you cant find them then feel free to swap for any other herb, ginger or shallot.
・This dish itself is not overly seasoned so that it can be used to balance out other main dishes such as miso grilled chicken. If you are enjoying just as a standalone meal, feel free to adjust the taste with soy sauce or salt.
・You can also use turkey mince. I don’t recommend beef mince since it’s too meaty.
・This is a great recipe to use for onigiri (rice ball).
<Recommended side dish>
Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
<Did you try this recipe??>
Let me know by tagging me on Instagram
I love to see your creations!
- First E-cookbooks are now available！ I hope this will be helpful and enjoyable in your kitchen^^
-Please check out beautiful Japanese tableware to decorate your table! Use my code MIWA to get 5% off from your purchase!
-If you need very sharp quality knife, I highly recommend this handmade Japanese knife made by 80 years old Japanese maker!
<How about making miso soup to enjoy with the rice?>