Updated: Mar 19, 2022
How was your Father's day???
I made something my family likes but my younger son couldn't chew and swallow the spinach very well and ended up vomited what he ate at the very last moment of dinner. It was literally like the Merlion in Singapore....
My thought process stopped at that moment!
It went all over the living room and it took me 30 minutes to clean up whole mess. However thanks to that happening, my dining room has become the cleanest it has been in awhile!! Hahaha.
Well, that was my family’s Father’s day.. I feel very sorry for my husband.. Haha
At least it was memorable one! That wasn’t a very pleasurable story to tell you but I needed to share it somewhere! Haha.
Thank you very much for reading about my realistic daily life with kids.
This Japanese potato salad recipe is one of the dishes I made on Father's day with my kids.
It doesn't require any cooking and the process is so simple.
It’s the best dish to introduce your kids to cooking.
I made this potato salad recipe to be a very simple one, so be creative by adding in other ingredients.
I listed a couple of my favorite toppings in the recipe below.
＜JAPANESE POTATO SALAD>
＜Yield> 4 servings
<Prep time> 7 minutes
<Cook time> 5 minutes
2 potatoes (12oz/ 350g)
1 cucumber (3.5oz/100g)
1 carrot (5.3oz/150g)
1 hard boiled egg
4oz (120g) canned corn
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons Japanese mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Sushi vinegar
1 tablespoon milk (any type of milk)
baked crunchy bacon
1. Wash and scrub the potatoes. Remove the potato eyes. Pop them into a microwave for 7 minutes at 600w. Boil the egg for 9 minutes to make it a hard boiled egg.
2. Peel the carrot and shred it thinly. Shred the cucumber about the same size as the carrot. Sprinkle the carrots and cucumbers with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and massage it in. Let them sit for 10 minutes then squeeze out the excess moisture.
3. Mash the potatoes and drizzle with sushi vinegar while the potatoes are steaming hot then toss it. Add in the carrots, cucumbers and drained canned corn. Toss again. Peel the hard boiled egg and then mix it into the salad. When the salad cools down, drizzle on the milk and add in the mayonnaise. Toss everything together to make it creamy.
4. Transfer to your plate and sprinkle with some freshly cracked black pepper.
・If you don’t have sushi vinegar on hand, mix together 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar with 1 tablespoon sugar and ⅔ teaspoon of salt. Dissolve them well and add 1 tablespoon of the mixture to your mashed potatoes. Make sure to mix the vinegar in while the potatoes are still steaming hot, otherwise the potatoes won't absorb the vinegar. This results in a very tart and soggy potato salad.
・Use a type of potato which is suitable for salads. In Japan the danshaku potato is my recommendation. Depending on how large your potatoes are, the microwaving time will differ. Please adjust the time by checking the doneness with a fork or bamboo skewer. If it goes through smoothly, then it should be ready.
・If you don’t have a microwave, boil the potatoes for 10-15 minutes in water. Make sure to check that the potatoes are soft enough by poking them with a fork or bamboo skewer. If it goes through smoothly, then it should be ready.
・You can swap mayonnaise for sour cream or Greek yogurt for a lighter texture. If that’s the case, make sure to adjust the taste by adding salt and pepper.
・I keep the ingredients very simple but adding celery and crunchy bacon are my favorites to add. To make the salad more rich, please try adding in cream cheese!! You never want to skip the corn especially if you are making this for kids! Haha
・Anything that contains dairy products need to be added after it has cool down. This includes milk, cream cheese, yogurt etc.
・As the day goes on the salad will start to dry out. Please add in extra mayonnaise or greek yogurt if it’s need.
<Recommended side dish>
Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
<Did you try this recipe??>
Let me know by tagging me on Instagram
I love to see your creations!
- First E-cookbooks are now available！ I hope this will be helpful and enjoyable in your kitchen^^
-Please check out beautiful Japanese tableware to decorate your table! Use my code MIWA to get 5% off from your purchase!
-If you need very sharp quality knife, I highly recommend this handmade Japanese knife made by 80 years old Japanese maker!