<NANAKUSA GAYU/ 七草粥>
＜Yield> 2 servings
<Prep time> 10 minutes (does not include soaking time)
<Cook time> 40 minutes
1L water, divided
½ cup (80g) dried sushi rice
1 cup,seven herbs , chopped
<What is seven herbs?>
Seri (せり) / Water dropwort or Japanese parsley
Nazuna (なずな・ぺんぺん草) / Shepherd’s Purse
Gogyo (ごぎょう) / Cudweed
Hakobera (はこべら) / Chickweed
Hotokenoza (ほとけのざ) / Nipplewort
Suzuna (すずな・かぶ) / Turnip
Suzushiro (すずしろ・大根) / Daikon radish
½ cup ,green onion, chopped
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
zest of Yuzu (optional)
2. pickled plum
3. seasoned kombu
1. Rinse the rice a few times and then soak the rice in 400ml water for 1 hour. After soaking, drain the water. Transfer to the rice to a pot and then add 600ml water. Once it comes to a boil, stir the mixture once from the bottom to the top. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 35 minutes with the lid partially covered. Stir it occasionally to prevent burning.
2. Thinly slice Suzuna and Suzushiro. Chop the rest of herbs into small pieces.
3. Mix soysauce, toasted sesame oil and the zest of yuzu.Chop spring onion into small pieces then combine with sauce.
4. 5 mins before the rice is cooked completely, add sliced suzuna and suzushiro. (Splash some water if it’s needed) . Once the rice is cooked, add all herbs you prepared in Step2, and stir it once. Serve the porridge in a bowl and enjoy with the sauce and your favorite toppings.
<Miwa’s tips> ※Watch more on YouTube!
1. Use any herbs you have available.
2. The rice will triple in size when it’s cooked. Make sure to use a large enough pot.
3. The rice to water cooking ratio is 1:7. Feel free to scale up or down the portion by keeping this ratio.
4. If water is reduced quicker than the rice is cooked, feel free to splash some water.
Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.