Updated: Mar 24
For today’s episode, let’s go back-to-basics with OKONOMIYAKI!
It’s a Japanese savory pancake, mainly popular in the Western part of Japan.
The dish contains a lot of cabbage, your choice of meat such as pork or shrimp, then kimchi, corn and cheese.
Actually, you can be creative and go with any ingredients you fancy!
It’s savory, filling, as well as extremely versatile and fun to make.
If you have an electric griddle, it's going to be great for a home party.
<OKONOMIYAKI/ POPULAR JAPANESE RECIPE>
<Yield> 2 servings
<Prep time> 5 minutes
<Cook time> 10 minutes
120g all purpose flour
120g silken tofu
6 slices thinly sliced pork belly (150g）
vegetable oil (or any neutral oil)
2 tablespoons okonomiyaki sauce
2 tablespoons Japanese mayonnaise
1. Break and whisk the tofu in a bowl until it becomes smooth. Add in the egg and dashi, then mix it well. Add in the flour and gently mix it again.
2. Cut the cabbage into more than 1cm dice.
3. Fold in the cabbage into the batter by using spoon to aerate it. Do not mix it too much.
4. Heat a little oil over medium high heat. Pour the okonomiyaki batter into a round pancake shape in the center of the pan (about 2cm thick). Cook the pancake for 3-4 minutes until the bottom is lightly browned.
5. Once the bottom of the pancake has cooked, place the slices of pork on the top and flip the pancake over. Put on a lid and wait for 4 minutes. Do not press the pancake down with a spatula. Otherwise, the pancake will not be light and fluffy. Remove the lid and flip the pancake over again. Cook for another minute to evaporate the excess water. Remove the pancake from the pan when finished.
- Shrimp, cheese, mochi, carrots, mushrooms or any other vegetables will work!
-Mix 3 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce, 3 tbsp of tomato ketchup and ½ tbsp of honey.
Vinegary dipping sauce
- Mix 1 tbsp of vinegar, 1 tbsp of soy sauce and ½ tsp of grated ginger.
Store in the fridge for 1 day.
- First E-cookbooks are now available！ I hope this will be helpful and enjoyable in your kitchen^^
-Please check out beautiful Japanese tableware to decorate your table! Use my code MIWA to get 5% off from your purchase!
-If you need very sharp quality knife, I highly recommend this handmade Japanese knife made by 80 years old Japanese maker!