Updated: Apr 6
<RED BEAN MIXED RICE/ SEKIHAN/ 赤飯>
＜Yield> 4 servings
<Prep time> 5 minutes (doesn’t include soaking time for the rice)
<Cook time> 50 minutes
750ml water, divided (for cooking adzuki red beans)
400ml reserved water (leftover water from cooking the red beans plus additional water to equal 400ml total)
300g Japanese sushi rice
60g dried adzuki red beans
¼ teaspoon salt
1. Rinse the dried adzuki red beans. In a pot add in the rinsed adzuki beans and 250ml of water. Once it comes to a boil, lower the heat to medium and cook for 2 minutes. Drain the beans and discard the water. In the same pot, add back in the red beans along with 500ml of water. Cook it over medium heat for 15-20 minutes. Once the beans are cooked, separate the red beans from the liquid. Reserve the liquid for later.
2. Rinse the rice and soak it for 1 hour. Drain the water and set it aside.
3. In a measuring cup add in the reserved red bean liquid from step 1 and fill with additional water until you reach 400ml in total.
4. In a large pot add in the rice and 400ml of the reserved red bean liquid + water from step 3. Season with salt and mix it once. Add the cooked red beans on top.
5. Cook the rice mixture on high heat. Once it comes to a boil, cover with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes has elapsed, raise the heat to high for 10 seconds. After that, remove from heat and let the rice steam for 15 minutes with the lid on.
6. Open the lid and mix the rice from the bottom to the top. Sprinkle with some gomashio. Now it's ready to be enjoyed.
<Miwa’s tips> ※Watch more on YouTube!
1. In step 1, the red beans should be cooked but still pretty firm after 15-20 minutes.
2. GOMASHIO is not optional for this recipe. If you don’t have it then sprinkle on some black sesame seeds together with salt.
3. Feel free to use a rice cooker for step 4-5. Please use the same mode as you would to cook regular sushi rice.
Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for 1 month.