Updated: Feb 22
If you like the taste of OYAKODON, why not make one with frozen seafood??
If you have any frozen seafood mix in your freezer, you are one step closer in enjoying this recipe!
Also, this seafood OYAKODON can be a great option if you get bored with the traditional OYAKODON. The seafood OYAKODON does taste a little different with the taste of the ocean! Enjoy!
＜SEAFOOD OYAKODON / 海鮮親子丼＞
＜Yield> 2 servings
<Prep time> 5 minutes
<Cook time> 6 minutes
2 cups onion, sliced (1 large onion)
1 cup (100g) frozen seafood mix
4 tablespoons Mirin
3 tablespoons Soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
chopped green onions
1. Dissolve one teaspoon of salt into a cup of water. Add in the frozen seafood mix to thaw. Leave it to thaw for about 1 hour. Drain the water and wipe off the excess moisture completely.
2. Slice the onion thinly. Roughly beat the eggs.
3. In a pan add in the dashi stock, sugar, mirin and soy sauce. In goes the sliced onions. Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes until the onions wilt. Next add in the seafood mix. Cook it for 2 minutes over low heat.
4. Pour half of the beaten egg mixture into the pan by making a swirling motion. Cook it for 1 minute over medium heat then add in the rest of eggs. Remove from heat and cover with a lid. Steam it for 2 minutes or until you reach your desired firmness of egg.
5. In a bowl, add in some rice and then make a bead of nori seaweed. Pile on your seafood egg mixture from step 4. Garnish with some green onions. Now it's ready to be enjoyed.
・By thawing the seafood in salted water, you can remove the fishy smell while still retaining the texture of the seafood.
・You can add in mushrooms, leeks and carrots for more options.
・If you don't like the smell of shellfish then add in some grated ginger!
・You don't have to whisk the eggs completely. We want the egg yolks and the whites to remain separate in a bowl, so that you can enjoy the different textures and colors when it is served over rice.
<Recommended side dish>
Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.