Updated: Apr 25
There are so many ways to enjoy tofu as a salad. This Japanese tofu salad with plum dressing is a recipe that I took over from my mom.
Have you ever tasted salted pickled plums (umeboshi)? They are salty and tart. Japanese people love to eat them with rice.
The dressing of this Japanese tofu salad is not only tart, but also has a nuttiness from the sesame, sweetness from the fish stock base and every component is nicely incorporated together which creates one big flavor!!
You can also make it vegan or vegetarian by simply swapping the fish stock for vegan soba noodle dipping sauce
Enjoy the Japanese twist of a tofu salad!
Tag me on Instagram if you ever made it in your kitchen!
<TOFU SALAD WITH PLUM DRESSING>
<Yield> 4 servings
<Cook time> 6 minutes
1 block (400g) silken tofu
2 salted pickled plum
2 tablespoons 2X concentrated fish stock base (also known as dashi soy sauce)
1 tablespoon Toasted sesame oil
2.5g bonito flakes
1 piece of myoga / chopped spring onion or ginger as a substitution
shiso basil (Use your favorite herbs)
1. Cut the tofu into 4 blocks and place them on a serving plate.
2. Cut the myoga finely.
3. Remove the seed from the salted plums and mash them with a knife until they reach a puree consistency. Combine the plum puree and bonito flakes by chopping them together.
4. In a bowl add in the finely chopped myoga, plum mixture, fish stock base and 1 tablespoon of toasted sesame oil.
5. Divide the plum dressing equally on top of the tofu from step 1.
6. Add the shredded shiso leaves on top for presentation. Enjoy it!
・You can use firm tofu.
・Arugula can be used as a substitution of shiso leaves.
・If you are vegan, you can skip the bonito flakes and also swap out the fish stock for a kelp stock.
Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- First E-cookbooks are now available！ I hope this will be helpful and enjoyable in your kitchen^^
-Please check out beautiful Japanese tableware to decorate your table! Use my code MIWA to get 5% off from your purchase!
-If you need very sharp quality knife, I highly recommend this handmade Japanese knife made by 80 years old Japanese maker!