Updated: Jan 26
<SIMMERED KOMBU IN SWEETENED SOY SAUCE/ 昆布の佃煮>
＜Yield> 4 servings
<Prep time> 4 minutes
<Cook time> 40-50 minutes
1½ cups kombu, thinly shredded
1 cup water
4 tablespoons Soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons rice wine
2 tablespoons Mirin
1. Shred the kombu as thin as possible. Into a pot add in the water, rice vinegar and shredded kombu. Simmer for 20-30 minutes depending on how soft you would like the kombu to be. Splash in some additional water if it's needed.
2. When the liquid is almost all evaporated then add in the sugar, rice wine, soy sauce and mirin. Simmer for another 20 minutes until all the liquid IS evaporated. Sprinkle with some toasted sesame seeds and now it's ready to be enjoyed.
<Miwa’s tips> ※Watch more on YouTube!
1. You can use any type of kombu for this recipe.
2. Make sure the kombu is soft by the end of cooking in step 1. Feel free to splash in more water until you get the desired softness.
3. This dish is pretty savory and salty. Enjoy it little by little with rice, pasta or vegetables.
4. The best way to enjoy this simmered kombu is by making rice balls. Watch this video to find out how!
Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
- First E-cookbooks are now available！ I hope this will be helpful and enjoyable in your kitchen^^
-Please check out beautiful Japanese tableware to decorate your table! Use my code MIWA to get 5% off from your purchase!
-If you need very sharp quality knife, I highly recommend this handmade Japanese knife made by 80 years old Japanese maker!