Updated: Jan 9
<VEGAN CREAMY MISO STEW/豆乳野菜シチュー>
＜Yield> 2 servings
<Prep time> 6 mins
<Cook time> 20 mins
3 cups (200g) chopped, Chinese cabbage/ Napa cabbage
½ cup (150g) potato, diced
2 cups (300g) onion, diced
½ cup (50g) shimeji mushrooms
½ cup (80g) leeks, sliced
½ cup canned beans, rinsed and drained
1 tbsp shio koji / ¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp soup stock powder/ bouillon cube
½-1 tbsp miso paste
1 cup (200ml) soy milk
1 tsp potato starch/ rice flour/ corn starch
black pepper (as much or little as you like)
1. Chop all the vegetables into small bite sized pieces. The smaller they are, the faster they cook.
2. To a pot, add in all the vegetables at once along with shio koji OR salt. Cook over high heat and stir a couple times. Once you see liquid starting to seep out from the vegetables, lower the heat and cover with a lid. Steam it for 15 mins until all the vegetables have wilted.
3. Add in the water, soup stock powder and cooked beans. Once the beans and soup has warmed, dissolve in the miso paste. Thicken it with a mixture of soy milk and dissolved potato starch. Once the soup has thickened, remove it from heat and transfer it to your bowls. Enjoy it with black pepper.
<Miwa’s tips> ※Watch more on YouTube!
1. If the soup consistency is too thick then add in more soy milk or water to reach your desired consistency.
2. I highly recommend adding in root vegetables like carrots and sweet potatoes. You can add any kind of vegetables you like into this soup.
3. Always make sure to adjust the taste with salt and pepper before serving it.
I like to sprinkle on a bit of garlic salt for extra flavor.
Store the soup in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.