Updated: Apr 13
My mom use to make pancakes on Sunday morning. It was a special breakfast for me. Her pancakes always contained carrots since I was picky at that time.
Now it's my turn to make pancakes for my kids. I elevate my mom’s pancake recipe to make it a little healthier by adding tofu and bananas.
This pancake is going to be pretty thick and chewy. You may find them a different but still an enjoyable texture compared to usual pancakes.
It’s still a pancake but better for your health which has extra fiber and protein.
Enjoy and make it for yourself and loved ones!!
Don't forget to tag me on Instagram!!
I love to see your creations!
＜Yield> 2 servings
<Prep time> 5 minutes
<Cook time> 10 minutes
150g silken tofu
small size banana (100g)
100g strong wheat flour
20ml almond milk
5g baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
pinch of salt
a few drops of vanilla extract
any type of jam
1. Grate the carrot. Combine the strong wheat flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl.
2. In a second bowl, mash the silken tofu into a creamy texture. Add in the banana add then mash it with the back of a folk. Add in the grated carrots, almond milk and vanilla extract then mix them together.
3. Combine the wet and dry ingredients together. Rest for 5 minutes.
4. Grease the pan lightly and heat over low heat. Drop a ⅓ of the batter and cover with a lid. Cook it for 5 minutes.
5. Open the lid and flip the pancake over. Cook it for another 4 minutes with the lid on. Open the lid and cook it for another minute to evaporate the moisture. Repeat the same process twice. Transfer to a plate and drizzle with your favorite jam or syrup. Now it's ready to be enjoyed♡
・ Once you combine the dry ingredients with the wet ones, you don’t want to over mix it. Make sure to mix them gently.
・Since the pancakes contains tofu and carrot, it’s going to take longer to be cooked than a regular pancake.
・I'm pan frying the pancakes one at a time since my skillet is not large enough but if you have a big one, you can make a couple batches at a time.
・Sugar is optional in this recipe.
・Keep the heat low to prevent them from burning.
・Don’t press the pancake down with a spatula when you are cooking them.
Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- First E-cookbooks are now available！ I hope this will be helpful and enjoyable in your kitchen^^
-Please check out beautiful Japanese tableware to decorate your table! Use my code MIWA to get 5% off from your purchase!
-If you need very sharp quality knife, I highly recommend this handmade Japanese knife made by 80 years old Japanese maker!