Updated: Oct 18
This recipe was created at the request of members in the Ikigai Cooking Club.
We cooked this together in our zoom cooking session.
Feel free to join if you are looking for like-minded Japanese food enthusiasts!
Last call for enrollment for 2023!
<TOMATO MISO SOUP/ トマト味噌汁>
▶Vegan (If you omit the eggs)
＜Yield> 2 servings
<Prep time> 5 minutes
<Cook time> 10 minutes
1½ cups shredded cabbage (200g)
1 cup sliced onion (150g)
2 pieces shiitake mushrooms
½ cup canned corn/ fresh corn kernels
1 cup tomato juice (unsalted)
1 cup water
½ tsp dashi powder / bouillon cube
1- 1½ tbsp yellow miso
2 eggs (optional)
1 tbsp flax seed oil (optional)
1. Shred the cabbage thinly. Thinly slice onion and shiitake mushrooms.
2. Into the pot add water, tomato juice, soup stock powder and all the vegetables. Grate the ginger. Cover with a lid and cook it for about 5 mins or until it’s partially cooked.
3. Crack in the eggs if you want. When the eggs are cooked to your liking, remove from heat and dissolve in the miso paste. Serve the soup in a bowl. Drizzle on some flax seed oil. Top with parmagiano cheese.
1. If you are in a time crunch, shred your cabbage as thin as possible, so that you can speed up the cooking process.
2. Feel free to adjust the amount of miso you are adding.
Store in an air-tight container for up to 3 days in the fridge.