Updated: May 12
<VEGAN HAPPOU-SAI DON/ ビーガン八宝菜丼>
＜Yield> 2 servings
<Prep time> 6 minutes
<Cook time> 15 minutes
1½ cup water
1 cup (120g) Chinese cabbage, chopped
1 cup (100g) mustard spinach
100g firm/silken tofu
1 cup (50g) enoki mushrooms
½ cup (80g) leek, sliced
⅓ cup (80g) carrot, sliced
1 small onion, sliced (100g)
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 dried shiitake mushroom, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon vegetable stock powder
1 tablespoon Soy sauce
½ tablespoon potato starch +½ tablespoon water
1 teaspoon yellow miso
1 teaspoon Toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
chopped green onion
2 servings of steamed rice
1. Thinly slice Chinese cabbage, leek, onion, garlic and carrot. Remove the stem of the enoki mushroom and separate into pieces. Chop the mustard spinach into big bite size pieces (2 inches long). Cut the tofu into large cubes.
2. Into the pot add pre-sliced dried shiitake mushrooms and water. Add all of the vegetables from step 1 (except for mustard spinach). Sprinkle the vegetable stock powder. Cover with a lid and cook over high heat. Once it comes to a boil, lower the heat to medium-low and continue to cook until the vegetables are to your liking (approximately 10 minutes).
3. Remove the lid and turn the heat to medium high. Add the mustard spinach and cubed tofu. Season with miso paste, soy sauce and salt. Thicken the sauce with a mixture of potato starch and water. Once it's thickened to your liking remove from heat and drizzle with toasted sesame oil. Adjust the taste with soy sauce and salt.
4. Scoop steamed rice into a bowl and add a generous amount of vegetable-tofu mixture (step 3) over the top. Sprinkle some chopped green onions. Add a splash of rice vinegar. Enjoy with chili oil and black pepper if you like.
<Miwa’s tips> ※Watch more on YouTube!
1. Splashing some rice vinegar at the end is MUST-HAVE in my opinion.^^
2. As for the toppings, I recommend chili oil, grated garlic and pickled ginger.
3. If you are using a whole dried shiitake mushroom, please soak it longer according to the package instructions.
Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- First E-cookbooks are now available！ I hope this will be helpful and enjoyable in your kitchen^^
-Please check out beautiful Japanese tableware to decorate your table! Use my code MIWA to get 5% off from your purchase!
-If you need very sharp quality knife, I highly recommend this handmade Japanese knife made by 80 years old Japanese maker!