Updated: Mar 1
What is your favorite breakfast?? For me it's a bowl of rice and miso soup.
Today, I would like to share my vegan version of a Japanese comfort breakfast. It's rice packed with massive flavors from dried shiitake mushrooms, fried tofu, kelp and so on. I'm sure your tummy will be filled with nourishment and happiness.
Recipe for vegan miso soup↓
Hope you will enjoy it! Tag me with your creation on my Instagram!
<Yield> 2 servings
<Prep time> 5 minutes (doesn’t include soaking time)
<Cook time> 20 minutes
150g sticky rice
4 pieces dried shiitake mushrooms
1 piece thin fried tofu
1.5 tablespoons light soy sauce
1 tablespoon mirin
1 tablespoon rice wine
1 teaspoon salt
1. Soak the dried shiitake mushrooms into the water overnight.
2. The next day, soak the kelp in the mushroom-water for at least 30 minutes and set aside. Soak the rice in fresh water for 1 hour and then rinse it 30 minutes before you begin to cook, and let it sit in a strainer. 3. Squeeze the dried shiitake mushrooms to let the juices come out, save 100ml of the mushroom juice for later. Cut the mushrooms into thin strips.
4. Julienne the carrots into thin match strips. Remove the oil from the fried tofu by pouring hot water over them. Squeeze out the excess moisture then cut it into thin slices.
5. In a clay pot, add in the rinsed rice, 60ml of the mushroom-kelp stock, 100ml of the squeezed shiitake mushroom juice and all the seasonings. Stir it gently and then place the carrots, shiitake mushrooms and fried tofu on top. Lastly place the kelp on the very top.
6. Heat the clay pot over high heat. Once it comes to a boil, simmer it for 10 minutes. Then, cook it over high heat for 10 seconds and then remove from heat. Steam the rice for another 15 minutes with the lid on.
7. Open the lid and gently mix the rice from bottom to the top, in that motion.
-You can also add burdock root or any other kind of mushroom.
-If this recipe is not savory enough then please add in more seasonings and reduce the amount of water. Make sure to keep the total liquid volume the same.
-You can also make this with a rice cooker!
-You can use a regular pot instead of a clay pot.
-Instead of making broth from scratch (soaking the mushrooms and kelp), you can dissolve the kelp broth powder into the water.
Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.