Updated: Mar 22, 2022
It’s summer time!! The humid, hot summer in Japan has finally started!
"My kids started their school. I have to make a bento box for them. I have no idea what to put in. I’m afraid that it might go bad by lunch time."
If you have these types of concerns, I would like to share my tips on how to make a bento box in the summer. To know a bit more about myself, I have 2 sons and I make bento boxes everyday.
1. Tips on preventing your bento box from spoiling. 2. Bento box friendly recipes. 3. Useful products you can buy on Amazon.
<Tips on preventing your bento box from spoiling>
There are two things that bacteria loves:
2. Warm temperatures
To avoid bacteria, I keep 8 things in mind:
1. Drain all the excess water, as much as possible.
2. Do not put the lid on until all the ingredients have completely cooled down.
The steam will create some moisture.
3. Add ingredients that has antibacterial properties such as: pickled plum, shiso herb, curry powder, wasabi, vinegar etc...
These all have antibacterial properties and makes your bento more vibrant!
For example, you can add in a teaspoon of vinegar when you cook rice (1 cup of rice). It won’t be vinegary rice but it still prevents your rice from being spoiled.
4. Use dry food effectively.
Dry foods such as sesame seeds, bonito flakes and wakame seaweed will absorb the moisture. If you are going to add in some saucy dishes, you can toss them together with dry food together such as spinach and sesame seeds or teriyaki meatballs with nori seaweed. Thickening the sauce with potato starch is also very useful.
5. Never put leftovers in the bento box.
6. Try to avoid raw vegetables.
e.g. tomatoes, leafy greens, cucumber etc....
7. Separate each of the dishes as much as possible by separating them with an aluminum foil cup or silicon cup.
8. Use frozen items effectively.
There are room temperature defrostable foods widely available in Japanese supermarkets. This means that if you put them in the bento box in the morning, it will be naturally defrosted by lunch time. It also works as an ice pack. PLUS, you can be lazy in the morning! Haha!
▶▶Look for the Japanese written below on the package:
自然解凍= defrostable at room temperature
<Bento box friendly recipes>
<Useful products you can buy on amazon>
I'm talking about bento boxes on YouTube!
For me , making a bento box is something I have to do everyday long term!
Just like a marathon! You can be lazy but do you best! I repeat the same dishes over and over but my kids are ok with it! Haha!
If you have any questions feel free to DM me on my Instagram!
- First E-cookbooks are now available！ I hope this will be helpful and enjoyable in your kitchen^^
-Please check out beautiful Japanese tableware to decorate your table! Use my code MIWA to get 5% off from your purchase!
-If you need very sharp quality knife, I highly recommend this handmade Japanese knife made by 80 years old Japanese maker!