Updated: Mar 11
Do you have miso paste lying in your fridge? If so, please make today's miso chicken drumstick recipe!!
Sweet and savory miso sauce is very popular in Japanese cuisine.
This miso chicken recipe is not an exception.
If you have a chance to BBQ in your garden, this recipe will work perfectly!
There are several tips you want to make note of, so make sure to read the Miwa's tips section before you get started!
For another miso recipe, I have Miso Buttered Salmon
For another easy oven recipe, I recommend Tender teriyaki chicken wings
<MISO CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS>
＜Yield> 4 servings
<Prep time> 2 minutes
<Cook time> 30 minutes (cooking in the oven)
12 chicken drumsticks (21oz/600g)
2 tablespoons rice wine
1 tablespoons rice wine
3 tablespoons honey
2½ tablespoons yellow miso
1½ tablespoons Soy sauce
1 tablespoon, garlic grated
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1. In a big ziplock bag, mix all the condiments listed above to make a marinade. Add in the chicken drumsticks. Then massage the drumsticks by making sure that they are all nicely coated with marinade. Let them sit in the fridge for 3 hours or possibly overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C = 392°F. Line up the chicken drumsticks on a wire rack, then cover them with aluminum foil to prevent burning. Pop them into the oven and cook for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and transfer the rack back into the oven. Continue to roast for another 10 minutes or until the chicken becomes nice and charred.
3. Put the leftover marinade into a saucepan and add in 2 tbsp of rice wine. Simmer over low heat until the sauce has thickened.
4. Transfer the chicken to a serving plate and smother on the sauce. Sprinkle with some toasted sesame seeds and fresh herbs if you want to. Now it's ready to be enjoyed!
・The sodium content differs depending on which brand of miso you are using.
The sodium content of my miso is about 10%. Please adjust how much you are adding, somewhere between 2-3 tablespoons BUT it doesn't have to be too precise!! haha
・Since the marinade contains miso and honey, it will burn easily. Make sure to cover the chicken with aluminum foil. This way you can kind of steam the drum sticks in the first stage of cooking.
・Please don't toss the leftover marinade away. We are using it to make a sauce to layer on more flavor at the end.
・I often marinate the chicken and keep them in the freezer for meal prep. Then all you have to do is defrost them and pop them into the oven whenever you want to be lazy! Game changer right? haha
<Recommended side dish>
Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
You can also freeze them for 3 weeks before you roast them.
<Did you try this recipe??>
Let me know by tagging me on Instagram
I love to see your creations!
- First E-cookbooks are now available！ I hope this will be helpful and enjoyable in your kitchen^^
-Please check out beautiful Japanese tableware to decorate your table! Use my code MIWA to get 5% off from your purchase!
-If you need very sharp quality knife, I highly recommend this handmade Japanese knife made by 80 years old Japanese maker!